Monday, April 04, 2005

Great movies, good concerts, Wrestlemania and more!

First off, I just gotta mention that I'm watching TV as I started to write this, and I just saw a funny ass commercial that I've been meaning to mention here on the blog for a few weeks.

It's that 1-888-JUSTICE commercial for the injury law firm. Now normally you wouldn't think a commercial for lawyers would be funny, but this one is just so ghetto it's hysterical.

There are actually a handful of these commercials and all of them are similar in that they star an injured worker (usually a minority) saying something along the lines of "You mean the company knew that workground was unsafe and they STILL let us work on it?? That's BULL$#!T (with the curse bleeped loudly). It's just funny, how the profanity is the selling point of the commercial. I mean granted, that probably IS a realistic reaction by most people, but it's just so funny to see it put on TV. So yeah, I just had to mention that. Has anyone seen these? And if so, do you agree they are pretty amusing? Or am I the only one?

****

On a quick aside, since people have been asking me, I got a response this week about my verdict for my appeal for the late fees on my parking ticket. I wound up winning (Thank God). So yeah, it sucks that I still wound up losing the $115 for the ticket itself, but at least I will get my $60 back, b/c THAT would have been absolutely unfair.

****

I guess I should also finish up talking about some things that happened last week (since I had my other post cut a bit short).

So yeah, two weekends ago me and Ariana finally watched that flick I bought a few weeks ago- 100 Girls. As I mentioned in a previous post, it's a comedy I had heard about that was supposed to be in the vein of the American Pie movies that I had been trying to find to watch for the longest time. So yeah, we saw it, and it was pretty funny. We both enjoyed it a lot and it was even better than I was expecting. It's a hard movie to find (to rent at least), but if you happen to somehow run across it, I would recomend giving it a look.

****

Good news- good concerts are coming up! I already have tix to Velvet Revolver with Hoobastank for May, and last Wed, Ariana was able to score tix for Weezer (also in May) for us (and I found out my buddy Stevo is going also with some of his buddies, so we'll have a small group going, which is always cool). So I'm psyched for that.

And also, I found out this week that Judas Priest is coming around to the NY area in a few places. They will be at PNC Bank Art Center on June 10, and at the Mohegan Sun Arena again on June 11th. So now I'm just debating which show I'd prefer to go to. But before, I do, I will put the invite out there to any of you who might be interested in joining. The concert goes on sale on Sat. April 9th (unless I find out about a presale or something). So you have until then to get back to me (and let me know which you'd prefer to do).

BREAKING NEWS! I just found out that The Killers will be in concert at the Central Park Summerstage on Sat. June 4th. The intenet presale starts on 4/11 (my b-day!) at 11am. You need to get a password and stuff, but you can get it at this website. There's a 4 ticket limit so I can't get tix for everyone, so check the site soon!

****

Speaking of concerts though, as I mentioned about 2 posts ago, I FINALLY went to my first show since November on Tuesday night. I went with Ariana to see Alter Bridge. It was cool b/c not only did it scratch the "concert-itch" I was having, but it was at Irving Plaza, which is a great place to see a show as it's all small and intimate. It was Ariana's first time at Irving (which makes me realize it had been QUITE awhile since I've been there either) and she liked it a lot, so that was a plus.

But yeah the band put on a great show, and I wound up taking home a poster of the band that was hanging on the wall, so it was cool.

****

Going back to movies and stuff- Me and Ariana went to go see Robots last weekend. It was good, as I expected (b/c really most of those Pixar-type movies are since the movie companies aren't gonna waste the tons of money to animate a movie in that style if the story sucks). So I'd definitely call it the best movie I'd seen so far this year.

That is, up until this Friday. Cuz I wound up going with Ariana, Ashley, Henry & Maryellen to go see Sin City at New Roc, and I must say, that was one kick-ass movie.

Now I had never read the comic books (not the biggest Frank Miller fan- with a few exceptions) and I had actually only skimmed over one review for the movie, so I really didn't know what to expect. But once the gruesome violence in the movie started to roll, I knew I was in for one hell of a ride.

Now I can't recomend the movie to everyone- b/c it's extremely violent- possibly moreso than the Kill Bill movies, and doesn't put women in the best light, but if neither of these things bother you, then by all means, go see that movie!

The cinematography is great (after awhile you barely even notice that the movie is in black & white) and the special effects are pretty sweet. The characters are also interesting and you wind up rooting for them all (especially Marv).

So yeah it's gonna be tough for any movie in the near future to top the awesomeness of this movie. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith is probably the only thing I can think of that has a chance, and honestly, that isn't even a given (ok, now you KNOW this movie has gotta be freakin GOOD if I'm saying that). So yeah, once again I gotta say- go see Sin City!!!

****

The geek in me also came out BIG TIME this weekend, as we wound up getting out of the movies on Friday by almost midnight, and I had remembered that Toys R Us was gonna start selling the new Star Wars figures starting at 12:01am. So since Bay Plaza is directly on my way back home, me and Ariana decided to stop in and and check things out.

I didn't MEAN to go nuts in there, but once I saw all the kick ass looking toys, the geek in me just completely took over. I soon found myself throwing tons of figures in a shopping cart. It wound up being so much, that Ariana (being the AMAZING girlfriend that she is) knew I was gonna have a conflict once I realized how much I actually had in the cart, that since my birthday is coming up soon, she offered to buy a portion of the stuff for me (did I mention how much I love my gf?).

That said, I still spent a TON of money (like I said, more than I ever planned), but I got tons of cool stuff- including a huge Anakin figure that you can transform into Darth Vader, and a huge General Grievous figure.

I'm gonna be smart about stuff this time though, and I'm keeping EVERYTHING in their boxes and thankfully the boxes are pretty cool looking, so hopefully when I move I'll have a place to display them all.

****

And just to wrap up some other stuff that happened this weekend- last night I went to Maryellen's movie night b-day party (sadly by myself b/c Ariana got stuck having to go to an event for work). It was a small turnout (prob due to the very sucky weather), but a good time was still had. We wound up watching a different movie than planned (since the group of people wound up being different than planned).

We watched Ray, which wound up being a very good movie. It was pretty interesting b/c I gotta admit I didn't know much about Ray Charles (like how he was sort of a man-whore for awhile, then a womanizer, a heroin addict, and not the greatest person in the world- at least for the first 15-20 years of his career). So that came as a bit of a surprise, but an interesting and entertaining one. Jamie Foxx definitely deserved the Oscar win for his performance. And I'm glad to say that I FINALLY watched one of the movies that was nominated for Movie of the Year at the Academy Awards- one down 4 to go (let's see how long it takes me to do that- if ever).

****

Then finally, just tonight we had a nice group (consisting of me, Ariana, Henry, Maryellen, Gaetano and James) gather at Phil's place to watch Wrestlemania 21.

As for my opinions on the show? I dunno yet actually, it wasn't "bad" by any means, and I don't wanna use the word "underwhelming" either b/c pretty much all the matches were solid (except Cena-JBL), but I guess I just had my expectations set too high.

Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio was cool for an opener but did not top their Halloween Havoc 97 match (as they had stated they wanted to do), the ladder match which was awesome while it lasted was CRIMINALLY short (it was less than 20 minutes long), and there was no big standout moment I can think of.

Plus, like I said, JBL vs Cena sucked balls, and even HHH vs Batista wasn't the greatest thing in the world (although for the way the fans love Batista it would have been hard to screw up that match).

I think the thing that definitely saved the show was Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels. It was without a doubt the match of the night and I'd recomend the show if only to see that one match.

So yeah, all in all I'd rank the show at about thumbs kind of in the middle but leaning up. And Hopefully they'll capitalize with a cool Raw and Smackdown this week.

Oh and tonight was opening night for the Yankees and they wound up pummeling the Red Sox 9-2, so that makes me quite happy and makes for a good start to the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home