Wednesday, November 15, 2006

"Cuz I got high"?

The other day I was at work at the middle school for the after-school program we run. We were short on tutors, so the counselors themselves had to help some of the students out. So I was helping out two boys. One of them (Frankie) is a boy who has been in the program for a few years, and he's got quite a mouth on him. He's not really bad, he just can't shut up. The other is generally a good kid but he can act up when paired with Frankie.

Things were going well at first though, until Frankie decided he'd rather talk and ask me questions than do his work. So while I'm trying to help the other boy with his English homework, Frankie is talking away and when he finally realized I was trying to ignore him, he takes a slight pause, stares at me, then turns to the other boy and says "doesn't he look high?"

The other boy took a look at me, and quickly agreed, which got them both into a laughing fit. I tried to calm them down but they kept cracking jokes and asking when I toked up and stuff. I finally got them under control and doing work, but they kept "whispering" remarks to each other, and pantomiming someone taking a hit from a blunt. I then had to threaten to take them to the principal, which got them to shut up for a few more minutes. But then Frankie kept messing around with his pencil like he was going to break it, so I said to him "Frankie, quit it! You keep playing like that, you're gonna break that joint."

Yeah, I bet you caught that.

And so did I, as soon as the words left my mouth. Just a bad choice of words, but it's just a slang word I use sometimes. And of course the kids caught it. They didn't say anything though, due to my threat to take them to the principal, but I could see in their faces they wanted to bust out laughing. I found it pretty funny myself, but I wasn't gonna give them the satisfaction of seeing me smile, so I took Frankie's pencil to get it sharpened, and as I was walking away I heard Frankie whisper to the other boy "... and we see he's used to the word joint in his vocabulary..."

I almost busted out laughing myself as I was walking away.

I let it slide only b/c he said it low, and as I was walking away, but it got me thinking- do I normally look high? I was a little tired, but not overally so. And obviously, I wasn't high (I've never smoked in my entire life. The closest thing I've been to high are a few second-hand highs I've gotten at concerts from people smoking around me), but this actually was NOT the first time I've been told I look high.

When I worked at Yankee stadium a few years back, there were a few people that would ask me every once in awhile "Hey man, are you high?" or "wow, you look so high..." I just figured they said that b/c it was at a time when I was working 2 jobs and having 15 hour work days, so I'm sure I looked like a walking zombie, b/c I felt like it. But I guess it didn't help that words like "dude," "awesome," and "like" are constant parts of my vocabulary, lol.

So I was just curious if anyone else had noticed that about me? Most of you have known me for a good amount of years and I've never been told or ribbed by any of you about it, so I'm currently chalking it up to me just looking tired that day. But I just wanted to see.

I just thought it was an amusing story to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home