Thursday, January 19, 2006

Year-End Awards

Well 2005 was a pretty interesting year all around. Some things were good, some not-so-good, but it definitely gave me a few things to talk about.

So just like last year, I compiled a list of awards detailing certain events of the past year. Hope you enjoy!

Best Movie of the Year: The 40 Year Old Virgin/ Wedding Crashers (TIE)
1st Runner-Up: Sin City
2nd Runner-Up: Serenity
Honorable Mention: Star Wars: Episode III- Revenge of the Sith

So I know what you all must be thinking: "What? Revenge of the Sith isn't on the top of YOUR list???!?!?" And yes, you are right to be very surprised. This was one of the hardest categories for me to pick a winner. There were a lot of fun movies this year, and as much as I got caught up in the Star Wars hype it just wasn't the best movie of the year. I said it even in April when I saw Sin City, that it would be hard for Star Wars to top it. And then the summer was filled with even more great movies including the two instant classics- 40 Year Old Virgin and Wedding Crashers. These movies are already being constantly quoted among our group of friends and I'm sure they will be for years to come. And lastly, there was a big build up for Serenity for me, as I got really into the show, Firefly, leading into watching the movie itself. And in the end Serenity "out-sci-fied" Star Wars, by having good action AND great characterization. So that's my justification.


Best CD of the Year: Weezer- Make Believe
1st Runner-up: Fall Out Boy- From Under the Cork Tree
2nd Runner-up: The Darkness- One Way Ticket to Hell... and Back

This category was even harder than the previous to decide from, but for the exact opposite reason. There just weren't very many good albums this year! Now don't get me wrong, LOTS of stuff came out. Even new albums by a lot of my favorite artists like Foo Fighters, Our Lady Peace, Disturbed, Judas Priest, System of a Down, etc. But none of those albums really stood out to me. Not that they were bad. Actually each of them were pretty good. Each of those albums had a few pretty awesome songs on it. However, they weren't as solid from beginning to end as many of their previous efforts were. Which is why they were not ranked in my top 3.

Picking the top choice was pretty hard, cuz I liked both albums a great deal. I gave the edge to Weezer though, b/c I've had the album since May and it was also extremely "office friendly" so it got a TON of play from me. Actually, CD's being "office friendly' factored heavily into my decision this year, mostly b/c I listened to my CDs a lot in my office. So if an album was filled with too many curses, or if it was just too heavy, I didn't play it as much (maybe only before the boss came in). All of my top choices were decently office friendly (yeah, even the Darkness believe it or not), but like I said, I had the Weezer album the longest so it gets the nod.

The Fall Out Boy album is quite awesome though. But I only discovered it towards the end of the year (prob around Oct-Nov). They got me hooked with their video for "Dance Dance," which is what made me decide to get the album and I've been playing it non-stop since. Plus, they score points for having their band name be a Simpsons reference.

Oh, but before I move on to the next category, I gotta give honorable mention to two other albums: Zebrahead- MFZB and Lost Prophets- Start Something. They are not from this past year which is why they did not qualify for an award, but I re-discovered these albums in the early summertime and they are STILL in heavy rotation in my CD player. So that's saying something. These are two great albums that I whole-heartedly endorse, so do yourself a favor and check them out.


Best Book of the Year: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
1st Runner-Up: Angels & Demons
2nd Runner-Up: The DaVinci Code

Ok, so obviously this category is for books that I have read in the past year. And I'm eliminating the whole "it had to have come out this past year" qualification for this category only b/c otherwise it severely limits me. The winner was easy to pick. The hype for the Harry Potter book's release was huge and was only surpassed by the quality of the book itself. Once I started reading the book I could NOT put it down. I finished it within a matter of days partly b/c I was scared of hearing/reading any spoilers online, but mostly b/c it was just so good. And the ending... damn that was just about one of the saddest things I've ever read.

Picking the runner-ups was harder. I actually read the Dan Brown books in order (Angels & Demons first), so I have a slightly different perspective than many other people out there who probably read the books in reverse order. I REALLY enjoyed Angels & Demons. It was well thought out, dramatic, funny and just all around captivating. However, even though DaVinci Code shares those same qualities, I can see the reasons why many people like the DaVinci Code more. The DaVinci Code is fairly realistic, while Angels & Demons is a bit more out there. So people might be a bit turned off when asked to suspend their disbelief like they had to for a few scenes in Angels & Demons, since that wasn't really required much in the DaVinci Code. But in the end, I just liked the overall story of Angels & Demons more.

-As I've mentioned in a few posts this year, I've probably read more books this year than in the last few years combined. But obviously they can't all be the best, but I do wanna mention how quality many of the Star Wars books are. I read pretty much all the "Clone Wars" books that led up to Episode 3 and I enjoyed them all. So if you're a Star Wars fan I'd advise picking up a few of them- especially Labyrinth of Evil and Shatterpoint.


Video Game of the Year: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2- The Sith Lords
1st Runner-Up: Ultimate Spider-Man
2nd Runner-Up: X-Men Legends

This year wasn't a great year for video games (at least not for me). Star Wars: KOTOR2 was cool b/c it's a Star Wars RPG and it's fun to kill things with lightsabers but it was NOWHERE near as good as the original. Actually, KOTOR2 loses a lot of points b/c it was VERY glitchy (I blame X-Box and all those at Microsoft). It actually won only by default b/c the two Runner-Ups, while of much better quality, were just too short.

Ultimate Spider-Man was a LOT of fun. The controls were even easier than that of Spider-Man 2 and the graphics and storyline were excellent (it was like playing out a comic book). But as I said, much like it's predecessor, the game was just way too short. But the creators should keep up the great work. Give me a few more hours of gameplay and they'll be good shape to get the number 1 spot next year.

The final spot was hard to pick. I almost gave it to DragonBall Z: Budokai Tenkaichi b/c that game has just a lot of fun. The graphics were amazing and the controls, while hard to pick up at first, become second nature after a few tries and flows really well with the gameplay. But I gave the edge to X-Men Legends b/c hell, that was the reason I bought a Gamecube in the first place (I was originally misinformed that the game would only be available for the Gamecube). The story and graphics were great and the added fact that it was multi-player, so me and Ariana were able to go through the whole game together made it a lot of fun.


Best TV Show of the Year: 24
1st Runner-Up: Coupling
2nd Runner-Up: Lost/ My Name is Earl (TIE)
Honorable Mentions: Robot Chicken, Firefly

24 is the winner of this category hands down. No other show came close. Last season was so freakin awesome (and OMG, did any of you see the season premiere for season 5 last week??? Craziest first fifteen minutes of a show I've ever seen). It also gains points for the fact that they started the season late (in January) so that way it could be presented straight through til May with no interruptions, unlike in previous seasons where there might be 2-4 weeks between new episodes (which as any fan of the show can tell you is absolute TORTURE).

I chose the BBC show Coupling (yes the original British version, not the American one, which I've actually never seen) as first runner-up b/c it was just about the funniest show I've seen in a long time. I've already mentioned reasons why you should watch this show in a previous post so I won't go into detail all over again. But I must say that I don't know if I've ever seen a show that was as consistently funny as Coupling was. Not a bad episode in the bunch.

The final choice was hard to pick b/c the two shows are just SO different (thus, why I gave them a tie). I didn't watch Lost the first time through, but I heard soooo much hype that I decided to watch the reruns in the summer and I got hooked. I along with the rest of America are just waiting to see where they go with this show. Is it based in reality and things happening are just coincidences? Is it actually a sci-fi show in disguise? Who knows? But they have me along for the ride. As for My Name Is Earl, I watched it initially just b/c Jason Lee is a funny dude. But the show has turned out to be a surprise hit. The chemistry among the cast is great and makes it a very fun show to watch.

I give an honorable mention to Robot Chicken mostly b/c it's more of a bunch of shorts than a show (each episode is listed at fifteen mins but usually they are more like only eleven). But they are usually 11 mins of hilarity. It's like watching an animated version of Twisted Mego Theatre or Big Shots from Toyfare magazine. Just fun and insane stuff.

The other honorable mention I gave was to Firefly. It couldn't win any awards b/c the show came out before this year, but I only discovered it this past summer. In a way I'm glad I never saw this show during its initial run on FOX a few years back. Because it was an AWESOME show, and I would have been heartbroken to have gone through the whole cancellation process. It's bad enough that I had to go through it with Angel. I couldn't have bared to lose another great Joss Whedon show. But it's a show any Buffy/Angel/Sci-Fi fan should watch. There are only 13 episodes which you can get on DVD, or you can catch them on Friday Nights at 7pm on the Sci-Fi Network.


"D'OH!!!!" Moment of the Year: The Dismantling of the Florida Marlins
1st Runner-Up: KROCK's format being changed to "All talk"
2nd Runner-Up: John Cena's long and annoying WWE title reign

I didn't even both bringing up any of the stupid things Pres. Bush has done this year. I could make an entire list of just his mistakes alone. But I'm through bitching on that subject- you, America made a big mistake, you shall have to live with it. As far as the other moments go, I decided to make them more broad. I was tempted to go the personal route and ramble about my court case, or not being accepted into Fordham grad school or the car ticket drama, but I've already talked about those things at length and I'd rather not bore you all (or depress myself) by reliving them. So these are more things that just generally suck rather than life changing events.

So yeah, the thing with the Marlins really sucks. But I dedicated an entire post to their situation so I won't repeat myself here. The 1st Runner-Up really annoys me though. The fact that New York no longer has a rock station is a crying shame. Granted, I really don't listen much to the radio b/c of my car's CD player or my mp3 player but I would tune in every once in awhile. I liked to keep on top of things and see what's new in the music world, or to hear a classic tune. But now I no longer have that option, and that just plain sucks. It's ridiculous that NY has like 3 hip-hop and 3 Spanish stations but now no more rock (and the stuff they play on Z100 and PLG does NOT count). I understand that rock isn't the most popular format in NY but still. There are TONS of rock fans in the area and now we have nothing. What makes it worse is that the shows they replaced the music with really SUCK. I gave them a try just to see what they were like and man, just terrible. So yeah like I said, a damn shame.

The 2nd Runner-up almost placed higher b/c it affected me on a weekly basis (much like how Orton irritated me last year, and continues to do). I haven't been able to stand John Cena for quite some time. His rapping white-boy gimmick stopped being amusing about 2 months after he started it (right around the time he was feuding with Brock Lesnar which was like almost 3 years ago). I was ALWAYS against him winning the title and even went about explaining other ways WWE should do things. But of course, they went down the road they stubbornly wanted to. And it worked for a little while overall (although never with me), but after they started putting Cena against guys who were just cooler than him (like Christian, Chris Jericho and finally Kurt Angle), people realized that Cena is just a bratty poser and it was fun to boo him. Call it schadenfreuden, or whatever you want, but it became FUN to boo the Hell out of Cena (which is why this didn't get ranked higher), but it was also annoying when he would pull a freakin "superman" and still win. But he finally lost the title, so unless they put it back on him I'm safe from him for awhile.

And finally, the big award:

Best Concert of the Year: The Offspring @ CBGB's
1st Runner-Up: Foo Fighters/ Weezer @ Continental Arena
2nd Runner-Up: Green Day w/ Jimmy Eat World @ Giants Stadium

Now this was definitely the hardest award for me to decide on. This year, I did not go to as many shows as I normally go to. I guess I went more for quality over quantity (although looking back I believe I went to a few more shows this year than I did last year). But regardless, almost every show I went to ranged from really good to freakin awesome, which is what made it so hard to actually rank the shows. So I boiled it down to a few sticking points- how close was I, how was the crowd, how well the band performed, etc.

I chose The Offspring show as the best show just b/c it felt like a huge event to me. The Offspring are my favorite band and to see them at such a tiny venue was amazing. The opening band, even though I had never heard of them before, were good, The Offspring played a great set, the crowd was fun and I was less than 10 feet from the band the entire show. Not to mention I got to meet the whole band and got Dexter's autograph on my Smash CD. All those factors together had to garner it the number 1 spot.

Picking the runner-ups was REALLY tough though. Both the Foozer and Green Day shows were excellent. They each featured two bands that I really like (and for the Foozer show, each played a full set), the crowds were great at each show and the seating while not the best, was pretty good and worked b/c I didn't want to be GA for those shows. I wound up giving the edge to the Foozer show though b/c even though Green Day probably had an overall better individual performance, both Foo Fighters and Weezer put on great FULL sets (as opposed to only the half hour for Jimmy Eat World). Plus my seats were a little better for the Foozer show.

I also have to give a few honorable mentions. First to the Amsterjam show on Randall's Island. That was probably one of the most well organized "big" shows I've ever been to. Plus all the bands put on great sets (and the show was like ten and a half hours long for only $45). Second mention goes to Judas Priest w/ Queensryche at the Mohegan Sun arena. This was an awesome show, but it was almost the same show as the year before (which won best concert), so I decided to give it to something else. And the final mention goes to The Killers @ Central Park Summerstage just b/c it was a cool venue and it turned out to be a beautiful day and a fun show.

And that my friends is the conclusion to this year's awards. Thank you for sticking with this post through all the rambling. Hope you enjoyed it and if you have any comments, please feel free to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home