Monday, June 20, 2005

A Sad comment on our society

I had completely forgotten to mention something me and Ariana saw yesterday that was both hysterical yet kinda sad.

We were in CVS looking for a last second Father's Day card for my mom's husband (cuz even though he's not my dad he is A dad, so we just wanted to be nice). So we were searching through the categories like "To Dad" "To Grandpa" "To Daddy from Child" etc while looking for the "Step Dad" or "For Any Dad" section and we came across:

"To the Father of my Child(ren)"

To which Ariana bursted out "they got 'Baby daddy' cards!" Which just got me busting out laughing. What made it even funnier was it was one of those fancy ones in script but it had a picture of a black man on it too. It was just so wrong in so many ways. I almost couldn't believe it. Leave it to a card shop in the Bronx to have "Baby Daddy" cards.

It's just such a sad commentary on our society though. It's become so commonplace that cards are being made for people in that situation, AND it's considered acceptable? It kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

But it was still funny regardless. Does that make me a bad person? I hope not b/c there were lots of people around when we saw the card and commented on it and dammit, I still laughed. Oh well...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home