Wednesday, February 22, 2006

"We Don't Need No Education..."

Or at least that's what President Bush and his cronies must be thinking at the moment, but that's a rant for another time. I just couldn't think of a wittier title, heh.

But yeah, one of the major things I’ve been doing lately is researching and applying for different graduate schools in the area. I really want to go back to school (well not really WANT to as much as NEED to) just so I can hurry up and get a degree so I can get a higher paying job. So far I have filled out and handed in an application for Mercy College and I am in the process of filing ones for Hunter College and Manhattan College as well. I’m looking for a Counseling Program, but one with more of a slant towards the education system like they had here at Fordham. I don’t want to be a school psychologist though, just a counselor, which narrows my choices a bit since most programs are either for school psychologists or for Mental Health Counseling but I’m sure I’ll get in somewhere that has what i want.

I’m kind of torn as to where I’d prefer to go though. Mercy seems a little bit of a more laid-back program (not easy, but pretty understanding that the people taking these courses have lives outside of school), but Hunter is a CUNY and is just much cheaper. Manhattan College is also cheaper than Mercy, but its program seems hardcore as I would need to do a thesis, a research project AND take the Comps, whereas most other programs just require the Comps. I know it may seem lazy but dammit, I don't feel like writing a thesis or doing a damn research project. The Comps should be more than enough to get a Master's Degree and a license. I'm basically already doing what I want to be doing, and in no way, shape or form would any of those things be necessary for me to be a full time high school or college advisor/counselor. I'm not gonna do more work than I need to. I'm not the biggest fan of school, but I do know that I NEED to go back so I'll do what I must but I'm not gonna kill myself either. Especially when I know certain things truly aren't necessary.

Another thing to think about is, right now I’m working in Yonkers, and would like to continue to, but who knows where I will end up after Aug 31st, since it’s looking more and more likely that the gov’t will be shutting down the program I work for (but as I said earlier that’s a tale for another time, just know that I dislike Pres. Bush even more as the days go by). So the school’s proximity to where I work can shape up to be another major factor.

But yeah wish me luck with all that. Hopefully schools will be more understanding than Fordham was. I just want to be done with school once and for all, so I pray it won’t get delayed any longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home